Cemitério São João Batista (Saint John the Baptist Cemetery) is a private cemetery in the neighborhood of Botafogo, Rio de Janeiro owned and operated by the Santa Casa da Misericórdia do Rio de Janeiro (Holy House of Mercy of Rio de Janeiro) a charitable organization with a Catholic identity founded by the Portuguese in Rio during the colonial era. This Foundation operates this cemetery with a permit from the municipality of Rio de Janeiro, as in Brazil cemeteries are either owned by the municipality or operated with its permission.
It is one of the cemeteries more decorated and adorned in Brazil, with dozens of rich mausoleums and artistic graves. In the center of the cemetery stands a chapel, which is dedicated to St. John the Baptist. A space is reserved for the burial of the Hospital Sisters of Charity St. Vincent de Paul, along with the nuns who looked after the sick. Also located in this cemetery are the catacombs, belonging to the Brazilian Academy of Letters, linked to Brazilian soldiers who died during the First World War, the sailors of the ship battleship St. Paul who were killed during the Revolution of 1924, the FEB veterans and aviators Brazil.
Cemitério São João Batista’ Address: Rua Real Grandeza, s/nº – Botafogo, Rio de Janeiro – RJ, 22281-033, Brazil, Phone:+55 21 2539-7073; Hours: 7:00 am – 5:00 pm